Can I use gmail to check and send email from an email account I have here?
March 25, 2018
Definitely! In many cases, we actually would recommend you do this, in order to avoid filling up your hosting account’s space with emails. You can create an email address on your hosting account, and instead of forwarding mail, you can just tell Gmail to check and send through that account. This keeps your hosting space cleared out, and lets you still use your domain for your email (instead of a generic @gmail.com address.)
You should already have your username and password if you have an email address on your hosting account (or you will have set it in place yourself if you created the address in your cpanel)… but here is the information you would use when setting up your gmail connection to the email address – there are two options, SSL and Non-SSL – please note that if you use the SSL (encrypted) option the server addresses are slightly different, as they take advantage of the shared SSL on the server.
Username: (your full email address) Password: (your email's password) Incoming Server: mail.yourdomainhere.com POP3 Port #: 110 Outgoing Server: mail.yourdomainhere.com SMTP Port #: 26
Secure SSL/TLS Settings
Username: (your full email address) Password: (your email's password) Incoming Server: sagan.superiorpages.com POP3 Port #: 995 Outgoing Server: sagan.superiorpages.com SMTP Port #: 465
Here’s the steps for setting up your Gmail account’s connection:
- Log in to gmail (if you don’t have a gmail account, you will need to create a Google Account which you can do here: https://accounts.google.com/SignUp)
- Click the gear icon toward the top right corner and select “settings”
- You should see a list of “tabs” starting with General, Labels, Inbox, etc. Click on the “Accounts and Import” tab
- Next to “Check mail from other accounts” click “Add a POP3 mail account you own”
- Enter your email address and click “Next Step”
- Enter your POP3 account information for your email address in the form (your username is your full email address) and if you’d like to have gmail label mail from this address, you can check the box next to “Label incoming messages”. Click “Add Account” and you will see a message stating “Your mail account has been added. You can now set the email to send as well.” NOTE: If you want to send mail through Gmail instead of the email you’re adding, click the “No” radio button. If you click “No” then you don’t need to follow the next steps.
- If you want to send mail through your new email, select “Yes” and click “Next Step”
- Enter your name and click “Next Step”
- On the “Send mail through your SMTP server” page, fill in your SMTP Server address, Username (full email address), Email Password, and make sure the port number matches the one in your provided information. (If you are connecting using SSL, you would need to check that radio button as well) Then, click “Add Account”
- Now, Gmail will email a verification code to the address you just added. Check your email for a message Gmail sent you. Click the link in the email, or enter the code into the text box and click “Verify”
Bookmark the permalink.
Comments are closed.